Monday, September 14, 2015

City Guide: Seattle

Compensation for this post was provided by Discover card via AOL Media.
Photography and opinions are my own and not indicative of the opinions or positions of Discover card or AOL.

what to do in Seattle
Seattle is my home, and I love my city! The city is laid-back, the people are down-to-earth, and the seafood is oh-so-fresh. While Seattle is urban enough to keep you busy, its proximity to the mountains and water keeps you refreshed and grounded. I get asked all the time about "what to do in Seattle" so I finally created this city guide!

MORNING

Coffee
Caffe Vita Seattle
You're in Seattle, so you have to start the day off with coffee! While Starbucks originated from this city (the original one is in Pike Place Market), there are plenty of delicious, local coffee roasters and cafes to visit.

Espresso Vivace
227 Yale Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109
Caffé Vita
1005 E Pike St
Seattle, WA 98122
Analog Coffee
235 Summit Ave E
Seattle, WA 98102

Brunch
London Plane
lemon ricotta pancake Tallulahs
Westward Seattle
Seattleites love brunch -- who doesn't?! But here, brunch is an art. We're talking fresh-out-of-the-oven warm biscuits with crème fraîche and seasonal preserve... a lemon ricotta pancake the size of your face... Dungeness crab eggs benny... Good morning, indeed.

The London Plane
300 Occidental Ave S
Seattle, WA 98104
Tallulah's (post here)
550 19th Ave E
Seattle, WA 98112
Westward (post here)
2501 N Northlake Way
Seattle, WA 98103

AFTERNOON

Pike Place Market
Pike Place Market
Pike Place fish market
Rachels Ginger Beer
Seattle gum wall
Though touristy, Pike Place Market is a historic part of Seattle that is still fun and bustling today. Stroll through, watch guys throw fish, try fresh local fruit, and stop by the flower stands for an Instagram shot. For a disgustingly fascinating experience, you can swing by the Gum Wall, an alleyway so covered in gum you can smell the mixture of tutti frutti and mint upon approaching.

Since all the walking may work up an appetite, snack around! Sample the creamiest Greek yogurt (marionberry pie is my favorite), slurp up a bowl of tomato bisque filled with cheese curds, and finish off with an ice-cold Moscow Mule.

Ellenos Real Greek Yogurt
1500 Pike Place
Seattle, WA 98101
Beecher's Handmade Cheese
1600 Pike Place
Seattle, WA 98101
Rachel's Ginger Beer
1530 Post Alley
Seattle, WA 98101

Shopping
Totokaelo Seattle
Beyond Nordstrom, which is native to Seattle, there are quite a few beautifully curated concept stores in the area. From high-end (Margiela, Rick Owens, Acne) to Northwest chic to US-made goods in a shop/bar, you can buy yourself a slightly more elevated souvenir than a Space Needle magnet.

Totokaelo
1523 10th Ave
Seattle, WA 98122
Glasswing Shop
1525 Melrose Ave
Seattle, WA 98122
E. Smith Mercantile
208 1st Ave S
Seattle, WA 98104

EVENING

Dinner/Dessert/Drinks
Walrus and the Carpenter oysters
Molly Moons ice cream Seattle
Tavern Law Seattle cocktails
The food + drinks game in Seattle is strong. You can feast in plenty of places in the city, but you've got to start with a platter of local oysters: Kumamoto, Olympia, Pacific, and Shigoku are some of my faves. After dinner, enjoy a scoop or two of locally-made ice cream in a fresh waffle cone. Then, end the trip at a Prohibition-era themed bar/speakeasy, sip craft cocktails (earl grey martini is my go-to), and hypothesize about how much bacteria is on the Gum Wall.

The Walrus and the Carpenter (post here)
4739 Ballard Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98107
Molly Moon's Homemade Ice Cream
917 E Pine St
Seattle, WA 98122
Tavern Law (post here)
1406 12th Ave
Seattle, WA 98122


I hope this Seattle guide helps you in planning your adventure to this beautiful city! Visit my Travel page for more city guides.

37 comments:

  1. So great! We visited last fall, but found that we were running from edge to edge of the city a lot. I love this list, and I am pinning it for a potential future trip! XO -Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great city guide! I'll have to refer back on my next trip to Seattle!!

    www.tailoredandtrue.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to visit Seattle soon, and this is so helpful! Great post!

    Amber | y a c h t s m a a n

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fun post! I love weekend trips to Seattle since it's just a short drive away. Will have to check out some of your recommendations next time I'm up there!

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard nothing but amazing things about Seattle. Always dying to visit. This guide is filled with so many beautiful photos and great recommendations. Thanks for sharing!

    XO
    VanityPear

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this city guide Carolyn! Great job! :) Turns out more than half is what I sent to that blogger who's coming to visit. haha... great minds think alike! :D


    xo - Sheila
    www.sheislovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seattle is amazing. I blame it on Grey's Anatomy but I have been wanting to visit it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post! Seattle is seriously the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great city guide and photos, I';ll need them when I come down and visit.

    http://www.racheldinh.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been dying to go back to Seattle. I LOVE your photos + want to book a trip ASAP! Fab scarf BTW!
    xx
    Carly
    http://bunbunbook.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seattle looks like an amazing city! I would love to visit your recommendations sometime x

    www.totalmodisch.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome city guide. Def adding your recommendations to my to-do list for my trip to Seattle. Lovely photos.
    xo
    A
    www.greigemarket.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. i went to seattle this summer and i completely loved it!!! i totally need to return there and try even more of these lunch and dinner spots!!! :D

    Have a great week!
    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fantastic guide! I've actually never been to Seattle, but it's on my list!

    Jessie
    http://www.dressdinedwell.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like such an amazing day!
    xo, jill
    www.BornFancy.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have totally bookmarked this post for when I finally do get to go to Seattle! It's been on my list for a looong time. I visited when I was a child and have always wanted to go back! Thanks for the tips!

    be the plebeian

    ReplyDelete
  17. it makes me wanna go to Seattle..thank your for the detailed guide..i love the skirt you are wearing!

    xoxo Eva | www.becausepassion.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog! Your images are fantastic and you're so adorable! Hello, new favorite :)

    xo Annie
    www.laircake.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, Great job!! Thanks for sharing this city guide!!
    Love,
    Kisses and hugs from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many great places that I love!!! This is a great guide Carolyn!

    Tina
    www.justatinabit.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmm that lemon ricotta pancake looks amazing! Wouldn't have considered going to Seattle as it's not one of the uber tourist'y hot spots (I don't think?) but it looks like a place with a really nice vibe!

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm a new reader and I'm soooo in love with your blog. Your photos are lovely! ;)
    ♡ Marissa Jamie : Mars La Luné ♡ 

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh this post is awesome Carolyn! Love all your images and how fun they are. Awesome guide! Need your tips for HK because I'm heading there next month!!

    Hope you'll check out my page and let me know your thoughts!

    Helen xx
    http://CH1K.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely post! Thanks for this. Your photos are so beautiful♥♥
    chocolateandsunset.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous photos, totally captures Seattle and cool for me to see because I've never been there!

    xo,

    Emma
    http://www.sassystreet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. such a great great post :) and i looove your skirt!

    mfashionfreak♥blog

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is such a great idea! I love this post! I'm definetly bookmarking it for if I ever get to go to Seattle! I love the pictures!

    www.rosegoldheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ah! Seattle looks amazing! I am putting this gorgeous city on my must visit list stat!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great guide, you're making me want to plan a trip to visit your city again very soon!




    http://the-party-dress.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ive always wanted to go to Seattle, can't wait to see it for myself someday!! Love love love your skirt!

    www.tusksandtails.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this guide! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. One of the best guides to Seattle right here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Omg, I've been to Seattle several times and how did I not know about the disgustingly pretty gum wall?! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Huong! haha Next time you visit, you can check out the gum wall and get super grossed out/intrigued by it. ;)

      Delete
  34. Ooh, what a great little guide! I have never been to Seattle, but have heard great things and want to move there soon! I'm curious to know, what is the city like for young professionals!?

    Lisa
    www.theeverydayelevated.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! I'm biased but I think Seattle is an AMAZING city for young professionals. People are so active, community-driven, and down-to-earth. There is a range of activities for all sorts of hobbies: people love to bike, rock-climb, hike, shop, drink, drink coffee, garden, cook, etc. I'm never bored here. Yet Seattle is also so chill that it never feels too busy in a bad way. If you do move here, I wish you the best and let me know if you want any recommendations!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!
Love, Carolyn