Monday, October 3, 2016

Preview: Tod's x Hey Pretty Thing Event

I have extra exciting news to reveal today! In May, Tod's at the Bravern in Bellevue approached me to collaborate on an event, and after working together for months, it's finally taking place this Saturday! I wanted to share with you the personal reason that motivated me to host this event.

I'm a full-time teacher by day, and in May 2015, before one of my classes started, I received a phone call from my best friend, Rebecca. We've been besties since we were 12, and I've always known that she has Alport Syndrome, which eventually leads to kidney failure. But we both didn't know that it would affect her that year. When I picked up the call, I heard Rebecca sobbing on the other side, saying that her kidneys suddenly dropped to 8% function. She would have to start dialysis in a few months until she could receive a kidney transplant, and we didn't know how long that would take. Rebecca is one of the most positive, vibrant souls you'd meet. She was an inspiration in how she stayed passionate about life even when her body went through changes due to dialysis and her future looked bleak without news of a transplant. Of course, Rebecca had her low days, especially since she was in her 20s and went from an active lifestyle to a bedridden one. During that season, she was a patient at the Northwest Kidney Centers, a local out-of-hospital research and dialysis center. NKC had encouraging nurses and counselors who supported Rebecca through her lowest, darkest days.

Tod's CEO, Diego Della Valle, is a known philanthropist in Italy, who has personally donated millions towards projects such as renovating the Colosseum. That generous spirit is apparent in all of the Tod's stores. When Tod's asked me what local nonprofit we could support through our event, I thought of NKC immediately for how they supported my best friend and countless patients toward health.

Below is a photo of Rebecca and me at Tod's last event with Ferrari, and the right is more information about my event:

Tods Bravern Bellevue
On me (left): Theory dress, D&G lipstick, Tod's bag & loafers
On Rebecca (right): Nique dress, Tod's boots

Thankfully, one of Rebecca's mom's best friends was a kidney match. Last year, both underwent surgery and Rebecca successfully received a kidney transplant and is now alive and well! I'm so grateful that she will be with me at our event!

The event will be next Saturday on October 8 at Tod's in the Bravern. It's going to be a fun time with catered food & drinks, a photobooth, Trophy cupcakes & macarons, a flower cart, wine-tasting with Columbia Valley Wineries, and a raffle for a pair of Tod's shoes. Because space is limited, if you are interested in attending, please email me: heyprettythingblog@gmail.com.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing!!

    Liv

    www.livforstyle.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful post, thank you for sharing. Hope your friend is doing much better!
    xoxo
    Serein
    http://sereinwu.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, thanks for sharing!

    xo, Maryam
    http://www.glamandposh.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazing! Congratulations on the collaboration. I'm sure it will turn out amazing :)

    xoxo Justina | Just In A City
    A SF based fashion + food + travel blog
    www.justinacity.com | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the collaboration - that is so fun! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post! Beautiful dresses!

    http://MARTASFASHIONDIARY.com/casual-tuesday/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish to be there to attend the event, it sounds super interesting! Have fun!!
    www.bonjourchiara.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    I just wanted to send a quick reminder about our collaboration on other channels also as I saw you did not replay to any of my emails. Maybe my correspondence is getting lost along the way so please when you see this message can you please get back to me.

    Madison from Irresistible Me

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a lot of fun. Love that little black dress. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!
Love, Carolyn