Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Travel Guide to Oahu, Hawaii

Oahu Hawaii travel guide
We traveled to Oahu, Hawaii this past summer, and I've been meaning to write a travel guide! That's why I'm so happy that Expedia.com asked me to share my tips for traveling to Oahu. I've been to Hawaii many times because, fortunately, we live relatively close. Oahu is my favorite island -- there is so much to see and do balanced with the fact that you don't have anything to do! It's the best, relaxing combination.

Here is my round-up of where to stay/what to eat/and what to do in Oahu:

Where to Stay

Sheraton Waikiki Oahu Hawaii
Sheraton Waikiki pool
Sheraton Waikiki waterfront bar
Area: I personally like to stay in Waikiki. While it's busy and touristy, I love its proximity to beaches, hikes, and restaurants. We usually rent a car to explore the rest of the island, so I don't feel locked into just one area. If you're looking for a more remote resort, consider the North Shore or even other islands, like Maui (here are my Maui travel posts).

Hotel: This last trip, we stayed at Sheraton Waikiki (this isn't sponsored, I just really enjoyed my experience). It's in a premium location and the walkability can't be beat. The first photo was taken from our balcony -- I can get used to waking up to that view every day!

My absolute favorite thing about this hotel, hands down, is the infinity pool! Husband and I spent hours on the inflatables just bobbing around the edge of the water, overlooking the ocean. Servers came around with drinks and food and complimentary frozen grapes (so refreshing in the heat). Sometimes I get too hot, sandy, and bored laying out on the beach, so I'm all for hanging out on an inflatable in the pool overlooking the beach.

We also loved retreating to their waterfront bar at night. We would watch the sun set over the ocean, listen to the band lightly playing in the background, and sip on a few piña coladas... ahh paradise.

What to Eat

Breakfast
Oahu acai bowls
Oahu pancakes
Breakfasts in Hawaii are polarizing -- like you can either go with healthy fresh fruits or indulgent loco moco with a side of coconut cream pancakes... or all of the above! You know what they say... breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

From top left to right:

Diamond Head Cove Health Bar - My favorite! It's about a mile away from the Waikiki beach strip. Get everything. I stopped here most mornings (after coffee) to fuel up before any activities. I love their acai bowl (the honey is incredible -- also, buy a jar of the Big Island honey as your souvenir), pitaya bowl, and papaya bowl.

Island Vintage Coffee - We frequented this cafe because it's right by our hotel, and they've got a good acai bowl and, most importantly, coffee. Every morning while I was getting ready, Husband would head down and grab us coffee and breakfast (he's a keeper). I like their macadamia nut latte.

Diamond Head Market & Grill - I usually picked up treats and lunch to-go before heading to the beach. Their grilled ahi salad is so fresh and flavorful, I ate it multiple times for lunch. Also, head next door to their Market for baked goods. You must get their famous lemon crunch cake, even if it means you'll eat cake for breakfast. They also have scones the size of your face: blueberry cream cheese is particularly delightful.

Bogart's Cafe - I had taro banana pancakes smothered with coconut cream, and Husband ordered the short rib loco moco. For macadamia cream pancakes, go to Boots & Kimo's. Scratch Kitchen has cereal milk pancakes.

Pokē
Oahu poke spots
Tamuras Fine Wine Liquor poke
While pokē has been taking over Seattle, nothing compares to the OG pokē in Hawaii. I literally had a pokē bowl a day the last time I was there -- will that keep the doctor away?

From top left to right:

Nico's - The restaurant is delicious (order the fried ahi belly appetizer), and you can just go to the fish market next door for lunch. They offer raw white crab, which is not often seen at other pokē spots. You can eat by the water out back.

Ono Seafood - This is pokē, straight and simple. I like the no-frills approach that is backed by amazing, fresh seafood. I got a split order with octopus.

Tamura's Fine Wine and Liquor - Yes, it's a liquor store... that has my favorite pokē stop in the back! It's so good we went here multiple times (both bottom photos are from Tamura's). I still dream about their wasabi king crab. Since it's also a market, grab seaweed salad, taro chips, and Hawaiian rum while you're at it.

Dessert
Oahu mochi daifuku chichidango Nisshodo
Oahu dessert spots
There is, of course, the famous Bubbies for mochi ice cream, Leonard's Bakery for malasadas, and Waiola or Matsumoto for shave ice. Once you've hit those classics, you can also check out these additional dessert shops.

Nisshodo - I hunted this place down! They freshly make daifuku, which is mochi wrapped around red bean paste and a fresh strawberry. Make sure you go early because they sell out! While you're there, pick up some chichi dango -- first, the name is fun to say, and second, it's deliciously chewy, melt-in-your mouth mochi.

Banán - They have non-dairy banana soft serve. I got the greens banana soft serve base (with kale, spirulina, mint, and ginger) and coconut, pineapple, and banana toppings. The greens base is definitely... green-tasting... but the honey and fruit add natural sweetness. It feels like a healthy alternative to ice cream!

Frostcity - This is a hybrid between a shave ice and ice cream joint = shaved snow! The coconut and black sesame ones are so good. Plus, you get a side of mochi, fruit, and jelly.

Dinner
53 By the Sea Oahu Hawaii
bills Hawaii Oahu
I really like eating at the chill mom-and-pop restaurants in Hawaii, but every once in a while, I might want a nice dinner out. In the past, I've enjoyed the classics like Roy's Waikiki or the more modern MW Restaurant.

This trip, we were in Hawaii at the same time as friends, so my girl friend and I went to a few new (to me) places. We loved the view at 53 By the Sea and the cute decor at bills Hawaii.

What to Do

North Shore
driving convertible in Hawaii
Turtle Bay Beach North Shore Hawaii
We rented a convertible for the week, and one of the days, we headed up to North Shore with some friends. While you're there: see turtles at Turtle Bay Beach, eat lunch at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck, hangout at Waimea Beach, freshen up with Matsumoto Shave Ice, watch the sunset at Sunset Beach Park, and grab pies at Ted's Bakery for the drive back.

Beach Activities
Oahu Hawaii trees
Oahu Hawaii palm trees
Oahu Hawaii nature trees
paddleboard Waikiki Oahu Hawaii
If we weren't laying out by the beach, we were in the water! I enjoyed snorkeling at Hanauma Bay and parasailing over Waikiki. Parasailing is relaxing after the initial jolt of being released into the air, as long as you're not afraid of heights. Another activity is renting a beach umbrella and boogie boards. It's such a rush when you catch a wave and also quite the workout! You can also rent stand up paddle boards. They start you off in a lagoon so you can practice before heading into the ocean. It takes a lot of arm and core strength to stay balanced, but even if you fall, the water is clear and warm and refreshing!

Lanikai
Lanikai best beach Oahu Hawaii
Kailua Oahu Hawaii
what to pack to the beach
Lanikai is my favorite beach. It's a bit of a drive but so worth it for the softest sand and bluest water. There are also rarely crowds, which feels like a nice retreat from Waikiki.

North Shore Oahu Hawaii
Sunset Beach North Shore Oahu Hawaii
Hawaii is always a fun, beautiful time. I miss it and writing this post brought back so many memories. I'll have to go back soon, but until next time... Please let me know if you have any questions or additional recommendations in the comments!

This post is written in collaboration with Expedia.com. Thank you for supporting companies
that make Hey Pretty Thing possible! All photography, writing, and opinions are my own.

12 comments:

  1. Great travel diary. Matsumoto's is sooooo good!

    Liz @ ShoppingMyCloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paradise <3

    www.evdaily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poke is taking over Vancouver too, but I after it's nothing like the real deal. Kailua I think it's called also is a really nice beach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are making me miss Hawaii so much! I got married in the Waikiki area a few years ago and haven't been back since. I really need to go back there!

    Polly
    http://gemsandjoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG i think this site is specially made for me.....i am crazy about new destination new hotels new foods....everything what you posted in your blog....just for i love it i am going to subscribe you...keep posting dear i am waiting for your new post.....

    personalized laptop covers for sale

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh God, Hawai! Don't tease me please. We have -10C and I always wanted to visit Hawai. Amazing pictures, thank you for sahring. :)

    Michelle Morchella

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an awesome post and now I'm wishing I were in Hawaii!!!! Such pretty images! Happy Friday!!!
    Xx Brandi
    www.brandilocks.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great travel guide! I wish I could go to Hawaii someday!

    Daniel x

    The Daniel Originals | Instagram: danielpoonvignez

    New Post: Lunar New Year Outfits

    ReplyDelete
  9. The banana pancakes at Bogart's Cafe look so delicious and I can't get over how dreamy this entire travel post is - you've got me dreaming of warm days spent on beaches!!

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos! You really captured the beauty of Hawaii and documented your trip very nicely! The clear water & smoothie bowls are calling my name! 😍

    XO, Emily
    Epicurean Emily

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, all of these pictures are actually stunning!
    Beataba.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. your vacation looked fabulous! Love the romper you're wearing.
    I 100% need to go to Hawaii now ;)
    www.luellapearl.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!
Love, Carolyn